Brain Storming Task:
How well do you know your fossil fuels? Beside each sentence write down whether it is talking about coal, oil, or natural gas. Watch out! Some may have more than one answer.
1. There is probably enough of this fossil fuel to last another 200 years.
2. Started out as plankton (tiny plants and animals) millions of years ago.
3. This fossil fuel provides about 40% of the world’s energy.
4. In its early stages this fossil fuel is a spongy brown material called peat.
5. This fossil fuel provides about 40% of the world’s electricity.
6. This fossil fuel produces more carbon dioxide than any other fossil fuel.
7. Before people can use this fossil fuel it is cleaned and separated at a special factory called a refinery.
8. Using this fossil fuel contributes to global warming.
9. More than half of this fossil fuel comes from the Middle East.
10. This fossil fuel burns the hottest, which makes it the most efficient for making electricity.
Note: we’ll discuss the answers in class tomorrow. Bring your science journal tomorrow.